The Baldessin Press & Studio is a not-for-profit organisation created in memory of the late George Baldessin (printmaker & sculptor 1939 – 1978), whose original studio is now open to the public for creative use and as a practical legacy to living artists, perpetuating his generous and collaborative spirit.
About The Baldessin Press & Studio
Set within the idyllic surrounds of the St Andrews bushland, 60 minutes north-east of Melbourne, the Baldessin Press operates from the bluestone studio conceived and built by George and Tess Baldessin in the 1970s. The light-filled studio, consisting of three open spaces, is fully equipped for all forms of intaglio and relief printing—with a large, motorised etching press, two manual geared intaglio presses, and the newly restored 1864 Albion press—as well as additional photogravure facilities. The coordination team consists of Tess Edwards Baldessin, Silvi Glattauer, Robert Hails, Lloyd Godman, and Nicole Bowller, who all work on a voluntary basis, using the studio for their own personal art practice, while helping to facilitate and run the organisation.
The studio is equipped for all forms of intaglio printing:
A very large motorised etching press (bed size 1090 × 2085cm – max plate size 1 × 1.9m)
a medium sized manual geared MES etching press, (bed size 110 × 56 cm)
a Hildav etching press (bed size 120 × 68 cm)
an Albion press (approx. bed size 60 × 50 cm).
See images below.
For Photopolymer Photogravure and similar techniques we have a large exposure unit (A2 size), light table, darkroom, and more.
The work space is well equipped with large benches, drying racks, magnetic pin board for viewing work, hotplates, aquatint box, ink-up space, and so on.