The Baldessin Press & Studio is a not-for-profit organisation created in memory of the late George Baldessin (printmaker & sculptor 1939 – 1978), whose original studio is now open to the public for creative use and as a practical legacy to living artists, perpetuating his generous and collaborative spirit.
Set within the idyllic surrounds of the St Andrews bushland, 60 mins north-east of Melbourne, the Baldessin Press Studio operates from the bluestone studio, conceived and built by George and Tess Baldessin in the 1970s. The light-filled studio, consisting of three open spaces, is fully equipped for all forms of intaglio and relief printing – with a large motorised etching press, two manual geared intaglio presses, and the newly restored 1864 Albion press – as well as additional photogravure facilities. The coordination team consists of Tess Edwards Baldessin, Silvi Glattauer, Lloyd Godman, Robert Hails, and Nicole Bowller, who all work on a voluntary basis, using the studio for their own personal art practice, while helping to facilitate and run the organisation.
Twice yearly the studio is open to the public as part of the “Nillumbik Artist Open Studio Program”, in May & November.
The studio is equipped for all forms of intaglio printing, with a very large motorised etching press, (bed size 1.09 X 2.085 – Max plate size 1 x 1.9 mts), a medium sized manual geared MES etching press, (bed size 1.1 x 56 cm), a Hildav Etching press (bed size 1.2 x 68 cm), an Albion press (approx. bed size 60 x 50 cm).
For Photogravure and similar techniques we have a very large exposure unit, light table, darkroom etc. The work space is light and well equipped with large benches, drying racks, magnetic pin board for viewing work, hotplates, aquatint box, ink-up space, etc.
There is a kitchen area for tea, coffee and lunches.